Friends of the Earth have launched a new initiative #plasticfreefriday. It operates under the same principles as the hugely popular and widely adopted #meatfreemonday, but on a Friday and avoiding plastic not meat.
Sounds simple enough, until you realise how much plastic we inadvertently consume on an average day.
- Takeway coffee? The lid is plastic
- Vegetables from a supermaket? They’re wrapped in plastic
- A shop-bought drink and a sandwich for lunch? Yip, they’re in plastic
- Clothes shopping? That carrier bag is plastic
- Online shopping? It arrives in plastic
Still not convinced you need to take action?
- 1 million plastic bottles are bought worldwide every minute
- By 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish
- Only 9% of plastic waste has ever been recycled
BUT THERE IS HOPE. By changing our behaviour, we can make a real difference.
- For example, since the 5p plastic bag charge was introduced in England we have used 9 BILLION fewer plastic bags. Pretty damn remarkable
- Or, if you switch from your ‘beaded exfoliating shower gel’ to regular gel or soap, you are personally stopping 100,000 tiny bits of plastic from entering the ocean every single time you shower
Commit to going plastic free one day a week. Let’s be the change.
Find more tips here.